Every year over 500 New Zealanders die by suicide.Samaritans help people get through the tough times by listening and caring 24/7.
Welcome to Samaritans
Whatever you're going through, call us free at any time on 0800 726 666.
Samaritans offer confidential and non-judgemental support to anyone who is lonely or in emotional distress. We are available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year and you don't have to be suicidal to call us.
Some of the common reasons to call Samaritans include:
Relationship and Family Problems.
Loss, including loss of job, or friend or family member through bereavement.
Job stress or overwork.
College or study related stress.
Body Image issues.
Don't suffer alone, our dedicated volunteers are there to help, and it’s amazing the difference having someone who listens and cares can make.
- listen and help people talk through what’s troubling them
- offer compassion and understanding
- offer callers confidentiality and anonymity
- discuss options
- offer support and encouragement
- give advice.
- solve people’s problems. Samaritans don't focus on the problem; they respond to the person.
- make referrals, but they are ready to listen and continue to support callers in need of a listening ear.
While most of our work is over the telephone, some Samaritans branches also offer a service for visitors to our centres, where they can meet and listen to people in person. It is a good idea to ring the helpline of your local centre to arrange a time. The New Zealand Samaritans service is a charitable organisation and is headquartered in Wellington. There are six Samaritans offices across the North Island and they can be contacted directly if you prefer.