Suicide awareness and prevention walk to mark Mental Health Awareness Week.
Welcome to Samaritans
Whatever you're going through, call us any time on 0800 726 666.
We are available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year and you don't have to be suicidal to call us.
Some of the common reasons to call Samaritans include:
- Relationship and Family Problems.
- Loss, including loss of job, or friend or family member through bereavement.
- Financial worries.
- Job stress or overwork.
- College or study related stress.
Don't suffer alone, our dedicated volunteers are there to help, and it’s amazing the difference having someone who listens and cares can make.
- focus on empathetic listening in a non-judgmental way
- help people talk through what's troubling them
- offer compassion and understanding
- offer callers confidentiality and anonymity
- offer support and encouragement
- respect a callers right to make their own decisions
- explore what options are open to callers
- help callers find their own way through the tough times
While most of our work is over the telephone, some Samaritans branches also offer a service for visitors to our centres, where they can meet and listen to people in person. It is a good idea to ring the helpline of your local centre to arrange a time. The New Zealand Samaritans service is a charitable organisation and is headquartered in Wellington. There are four Samaritans offices across the North Island and they can be contacted directly if you prefer.